Taught on July,2 1969
In our modern life style, we seldom walk or exercise the body enough to promote good elimination through the bowels. The buildup of wastes in the digestive tract prevents good absorption of nutrients and provides a breeding ground for bacteria and illness. If the elimination is blocked in the main channels, your body will try to expel the toxins via the skin in pimples, rashes, boils, etc. This kriya works out the entire eliminative system. Then the sexual energy and breath energy are stimulated and circulated. Finally exercises 15, 16 and 17 raise the energy to the higher centers.
1. Lie on the back. Lift both legs 12-18 inches off the ground with the toes pressed forward. Alternately bend the knees to the chest with long deep breaths. Keep the legs parallel to the ground. Continue for 1–2 minutes.
2. Still on the back, inhale and lift the legs up 90-degrees, exhale and lower the legs. Continue at a fairly rapid pace for 1 minute. Rest for 30 seconds and repeat for 1 minute. Rest and repeat again.
3. Cobra Pose (Modified). Come onto the stomach. Put the hands under the shoulders and lift up into Cobra Pose. Kick the buttocks with alternate heels. Exhale each time the heels strike the buttocks. Continue for 2 minutes.
4. Bow Pose. Lie on the stomach. Reach back for the ankles and stretch up into Bow Pose. Look toward the sky. Roll back and forth on the stomach. Inhale back, exhale forward. Continue for 2 minutes.
5. Spinal Rolls. Lie on the back. Clasp the knees to the chest. Roll forward and back on the spine. Continue 2 minutes.
6. Baby Pose. Sit on the heels. Bring your forehead to the floor and hold on to the heels. Breathe normally. Continue for 1–2 minutes.
7. Stretch Pose. Lift the heels six inches, raise the head and shoulders six inches, look at the toes. Begin Breath of Fire. Continue for 2–3 minutes.
8. Locust Pose. Lie on the stomach with the arms stretched forward. Put the hands in Venus Lock. Lift the legs and arms off the ground; the arms hug the ears. Begin Breath of Fire. Continue for 1–2 minutes.
9. Stand up with the heels together. Let the arms hang relaxed along the sides and begin to swing like a pendulum from side to side, bending to the left with the inhale and to the right with the exhale. Continue gracefully for 2 minutes.
10. Standing Twist. Still standing, begin twisting from side to side. As you twist left, extend the left arm parallel to the ground and place the right hand on the left chest; as you twist right, extend the right arm parallel to the ground and place the left hand on the right chest. It’s a continuous motion, from side to side, with deep breaths. 2 minutes.
11. Standing Forward Bend. Bend forward with the knees straight. Touch the palms flat on the ground. Straighten up with the arms together, thumbs crossed, and lean back as far as possible while keeping balanced. Hold the position for 10 seconds. As you lean back, the breath will automatically come in; as you bend forward, the breath will automatically release. Repeat 10–20 times.
12. Lie on the back and repeat exercise 1.
13. Alternate Leg Lifts. Stay on the back and place the hands in Venus Lock on the back of the neck under any hair. At a fairly fast pace, raise one leg to 90-degrees with the inhale, and lower it with the. Repeat on the other side and continue for 2 minutes.
14. Sit on the heels with Venus Lock in your lap. Concentrate on the breath and the mantra: Inhale Sat, exhale Naam. Continue for 5 minutes.
15. Sat Kriya: Sit on the heels. Raise the hands overhead with the palms together and the thumbs crossed. Chant Sat verbally and pull Mool Bandh; chant Naam and relax. Continue rhythmically for 2 minutes and then inhale, exhale, and apply Mool Bandh.
16. Sit up with the legs out straight. Raise the arms parallel to the ground. Begin Breath of Fire powerfully for 2 minutes.
17. Immediately sit in Easy Pose. Raise the arms overhead with palms together, arms hugging the ears. Close the eyes and meditate at the Third Eye Point. Chant Ek Ong Kaar Sat Naam Siree Whaa-Hay Guroo for 3 to 5 minutes. Relax deeply.
© The Teachings of Yogi Bhajan
[This kriya can be found in the manual, KRIYA.]